by Ruqaya Khan
This Norovirus outbreak follows a recent wave of E. coli linked to Chipotle locations that sickened more than 50 people in nine states during October. This had been the talk of the century as of lately. In late October health department officials in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon areas were investigating E.coli cases as well as the people who ate at Chipotle in those areas, more than 50 people in nine states had fallen ill Chipotle immediately closed down 43 of their restaurants when tested positive.
When asked what students at Stuart feel about this Anghely, freshman says “ I think it’s good that they closed down, because a lot of people got sick from it”
If you’re a constant twitter user, you must have seen the endless tweets and retweets about the Chipotle serving dog,cat meat rumour. On November 12, tweets regarding this incident had been retweeted more than 5,000 times and liked more than 3,000 times. Chipotle’s stock price took a rapid downfall of 25 percent in the last two months.
Steve Els, Chipotle’s ceo and founder publically apologised on air on December 10 for the restaurant chain’s illness outbreaks over the last few months “It’s a really tough time, but first I have to say I’m sorry for the people that got sick. They’re having a tough time. I feel terrible about that, and we’re doing a lot to rectify this and make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Ells said.
120 students at Boston College also had become ill with Norovirus after eating at a nearby Chipotle location.. Norovirus, an airborne illness that causes gastrointestinal discomfort, is not easy to eradicate and spreads rapidly. The bug usually remains in a person’s system for a few days. Ells told Matt Lauer host of ‘TODAY’ that the company is taking heightened measures to ensure that Chipotle will soon be “the safest place to eat.”